[smokeping-users] FPing alternative

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon May 19 18:04:53 CEST 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Mike Lerley wrote:

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>>> Extremely annoying.  An example of the smokeping output can be
>>> seen at
>>> http://www.rentageekme.com/smokeping/?target=Other.Tobeys.Tobeys
>>> -- 9AM
>>> today
>>> is when I switched routers.  I have been running smokeping for years
>>> against
>>> many different devices and have never seen fping do this.  The
>>> linksys
>>> router
>>> I'm pinging does have the latest version of the firmware on it; I
>>> didn't
>>> test
>>> fping against the older version as I did the fw update before
>>> putting it
>>> into
>>> service.
>>
>> just a question, why do you blame the messanger ... I am sure fping
>> does not send different packets than before. This could mean, that
>> your new router has the ability to rate-limit ping response, so it
>> only answers the very first ping packet it gets and ignores the
>> other ones ... I would asmume this is a configurable feature of
>> your router ...
>>

> Fair enough; however, I have turned on and off all options I can
> find on the
> router related to that sort of thing and nothing changes.  More
> importantly,
> I can do this:
>
> root at george:~# ping -f tobeys.gotdns.com
> PING tobeys.gotdns.com (24.39.29.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
> --- tobeys.gotdns.com ping statistics ---
> 3609 packets transmitted, 3570 received, 1% packet loss, time 47185ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 23.229/31.162/72.274/7.039 ms, pipe 6, ipg/ewma
> 13.078/27.893 ms
>
> Clearly, there is no packet rate limiting in effect here...
> -mike

exactly- I can standard ping as fast as I want with no issues, whereas
FPing, even when slowed down to several seconds between pings has the
described issues. So saying it is a rate-based issue, although
seemingly logical, doesn't fit the observed facts.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd