[smokeping-users] Smokeping daemonizes but can't browse on web

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 19:26:51 CET 2008

Hi Eric,

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Eric Chatham wrote:

> [root at happv etc]# tail /var/log/httpd/error_log
> [snip, snip]
> [Wed Nov 19 23:19:07 2008] [error] [client 192.168.1.101] File does not exist: /var/www/html/smokeping.cgi
> [Thu Nov 20 04:02:20 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) configured -- resuming normal operations
> [Thu Nov 20 10:57:38 2008] [error] [client 192.168.1.101] File does not exist: /var/www/html/smokeping.cgi

Well that's pretty clear.  Apache can't find what you're asking it for.
Note that Apache says it doesn't exist, not that you're forbidden from
accessing it.  Where did you put it?

> My linux server is Happv.proxima.local [192.168.1.105].  I haven't
> made any custom settings to my Apache.  I am trying to open the page
> with Mozilla Firefox.  I get "Error 404, Not found."

That's the expected response if Apache can't find what you're asking it for.

> The smokeping.cgi page does not reference the cgi-bin directory [as per
> instructions setting up Smokeping].

I don't understand what you're saying there.

> I try to access the link http://happv.proxima.local/smokeping/smokeping.cgi.
> I get "Error 404."  However, when I type in http://happv.proxima.local/, the
> default Apache page displays.

Have you tried

http:///happv.proxima.local/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi

or

http://192.168.1.105/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi

?

> This is the same way I have it setup in the ./etc/config file.

Please give full paths, not the path starting at the current
directory.  As I don't know what the current directory is,
./etc/config isn't very informative.

> Do you need to see my config file?

If you don't have any success with the URLs I gave above, then I would
like to see all the relevant config files.  That means both for Apache
and for Smokeping.  As they're likely to be fairly long you might want
to place them somewhere on the Web for me to download rather than have
everyone on the mailing list getting a copy.

I'd also like to see any file that you might have changed in the
Smokeping sources.  Have you read

perldoc /path/to/smokeping

?

--