[smokeping-users] Possible to change image type / quality?

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 10:44:29 CEST 2008

Hi there,

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, David Tomic wrote:

> My Smokeping setup is growing larger and larger, and the [combined] size
> of the images is starting to become a problem in some of the sections.
> I really don't want to make the graphs physically smaller [IE - less
> pixels], so I'm actually hoping that I can just change the file type /
> quality and end up with some smaller images that way?

I don't think it will be easy to reduce the image data size a great deal,
here's what happened when I used GIMP to convert from png to gif and jpg:

-rw-r--r--  1 ged ged    46623 2008-10-08 09:36 WWW3-HTTP_last_108000.png
-rw-r--r--  1 ged ged    32625 2008-10-08 09:38 WWW3-HTTP_last_108000.gif
-rw-r--r--  1 ged ged    47200 2008-10-08 09:38 WWW3-HTTP_last_108000.jpg

46k to 32k isn't what I'd call a useful reduction in a case like this,
I'd say you're looking for at least a factor of three to make a sensible
impact on the 'user experience'.

Using gzip only cut the file size by about ten percent, and your browser
and the server should be able to use compression over the link anyway.

> Any ideas?

You might want to try setting up proxy Web servers at the locations
remote from the Smokeping server, and keeping the images up to date
for example using rsync in the background.  It will be fun, and also
a good exercise for you. :)

--

73,
Ged.