[smokeping-users] Passing arguments to FPing

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:28:08 CEST 2008

Hi there,

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 jan-terje.larsen at telenor.com wrote:

> I've tried to search for a solution to my problem, but so far no success.

You should read the documentation.  It's on the Smokeping Website.

> I want to be able to ping a destination with different source
> IPs. The reason is that I want to be able to ping both inside and
> outside a VPN tunnel. As I understand it FPing can do this with the
> -S option.

The fping binary is part of the set of tools provided by your
operating system, and Smokeping just uses whatever it finds there.
Unfortunately there are several different versions of the fping probe
in existence, and you may have one which does not support setting the
source address.  This is checked in the Smokeping code and it will
inform you of the problem if it exists.  You may want to set the
Smokeping --debugging option (more documentation reading required... :)

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/FPing.en.html

> This is my first post here, so I apologise if I'm missing something.

Was that gentle enough? :)

--

73,
Ged.