[smokeping-users] Graph cropping ... is this possible?

David Tomic tomic.david at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:35:12 CEST 2008

Hi all,

This is something which I've been pondering lately, and I'd just like to
find out some other peoples opinions/thoughts on it as well.

So ... we can already crop/zoom graphs along the x-axis [time], but I'm
just wondering whether it's also possible [at least in theory] to do the
same thing along the y-axis [latency] as well?

It's just that sometimes graphs will have a massive spike in latency,
but it only last for 1-2 cycles before returning to normal.

IE - A link that normally runs at ~20ms, spikes up to ~2,000ms [for 1-2
rounds], then returns to ~20ms.

That makes it really hard to see smaller changes in the graphs, because
they've been compressed so much by that massive spike.

If I had a way of cropping the y-axis though, then that would pretty
much solve the problem.

So ... thoughts/comments/suggestions anyone?

Regards,
--David

PS - I realise that I can just try cropping the x-axis to remove the
spike - which is what I'm actually doing at the moment - but that's
really far from an ideal solution IMHO.

Not least of all because it makes it almost impossible to compare any
extended period of time before/after the big spike.

IE - You have to crop the graph before the big spike, again afterwards,
and even then you sometimes have the problem of the two halves ending up
with a different y-axis maximum anyway.  Not good.