[smokeping-users] Smokeping graphs randomly stop generating

Westlake, Simon simon.westlake at twcable.com
Fri Sep 5 15:12:09 CEST 2008

> > I've recently upgraded my servers to Ubuntu 8 and have been
> experiencing
> > a strange problem with Smokeping. I have Smokeping
> distributed across a
> > couple of different servers and I'm having the same problem on both
> > servers. At random intervals (could be hours or days, but
> is typically
> > hours) the graphs will just stop generating. The only log messages I
> > have when they die is 'MARK'. The daemon appears to be
> running. If I do
> > an /etc/init.d/smokeping restart, the graphs begin
> generating again. My
> > config is fairly basic, I'm only using fping/hping probes.
>
> It isn't clear to me whether the graphs aren't being generated or the
> ping processes aren't pinging.  Perhaps you could investigate further
> and let us know what you find.  Have you tried running Smokeping with
> the debug option for a few days?  If not I'd recommend it.  I run it
> that way routinely, disc space is cheap and you can rotate the logs.
>
> How long had you been running Smokeping before the upgrade to Ubuntu 8
> and on what system/distribution?  As you're having the same problem on
> both servers, it seems likely that it's, er, a hard software problem
> which should be relatively easy to track down.  I'm willing
> to bet that
> it isn't random, we just don't know what events trigger it yet. :)

I suspect you are correct (in terms of the trigger). I set it run as
-debug--daemon today, so I'll see what happens.

I was previously running on Ubuntu 6 with no issues. I don't recall what
the smokeping/fping version was, but it hadn't been updated in some time
(it was pre-AJAX changes.)
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.