[smokeping-users] Master/Slave "No secret found..."

Christian Benke benke at inqnet.at
Fri Sep 12 12:08:24 CEST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:38:35 +0100 (BST)
"G.W. Haywood" <ged at jubileegroup.co.uk> wrote:
> It isn't very clear in the documentation (Tobi?) but your slave file
> is incorrect.  It should just contain
>
> testblasmoke71
>
> and not the name of the slave, which (er, obviously:) isn't needed.

Sorry for the late reply - i was on holiday in the meantime and had the
issue postponed until it showed up in the ticketing lately ;-)

I have solved the issue after some debugging and trial-and-error, the
problem was not about permissions or secrets-syntax but about
section-naming, this is how my master-config looks like now:

*** Slaves ***
#
## make sure this is not world-readable!
secrets=/etc/smokeping/slavesecrets.conf

+this.is.the.fullhostnameofmyslave.in.mydomain.com
display_name=this.is.the.fullhostnameofmyslave
location=wien
color=0000ff

++override
Probes.FPing.binary = /usr/bin/fping

Accordingly, in the Targets-section i add the slave like this:

slaves=this.is.the.fullhostnameofmyslave.in.mydomain.com

the slave works without any configuration now(was not sure about that)
and sends its data to the master - perfect! :-)

btw:
in Master.pm this section(233:238) is wrong - in case $secret is
not set, the equal-function will report an error:

return if $secret eq '__HORRIBLE_INLINE_SIGNALING__';
if (not $secret){
        print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n";
        print "WARNING: No secret found for slave ${slave}\n";
        return;
    }

and should be:

if (not $secret){
        print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n";
        print "WARNING: No secret found for slave ${slave}\n";
        return;
    }
return if $secret eq '__HORRIBLE_INLINE_SIGNALING__';

instead.

Regards
Christian