[smokeping-users] Smokeping only keeping 4 weeks of data (Solved)

Ryan Harden hardenrm at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 10 20:14:10 CEST 2008

After lots of poking around and some help from a colleague that is much
more familiar with RRDtool, I've been able to track this down.

The problem was in the "Database" section. I had changed the step from
300 to 30 because I wanted a much more granular dataset. I didn't
understand and the documentation didn't point out that I needed to
reconfigure how the database was created after changing the step. When
you change the steps, you need to recalculate the 'steps' and 'total'
columns in order to get the same amount of data.

After figuring this out, and doing the math, I came up with this:
#########################
*** Database ***

step     = 30
pings    = 20

# consfn mrhb steps total

AVERAGE 0.5   1  20160 #7-day worth 30-second avg
AVERAGE 0.5   10  8640  #30-day worth 5-minute avg
AVERAGE 0.5   30 38400 #400-day worth 15-minute avg
MIN 0.5 10 8640
MAX 0.5 10 8640
MIN 0.5 30 38400
MAX 0.5 30 38400
#########################

Math here:
step x #ofSteps x Y = length of database in seconds
(#ofSteps is a multiple of your step adding up to how granular you want
your data to be. In my case 30s=1, 2m=4, 5m=10, etc)

To calculate for 7 days worth of 30 second averages:
30 x 1 x Y = 7days x 24h/day x 60m/hour x 60s/min
(translated to)
30 x 1 x Y = 7 x 24 x 60 x 60
(30 x Y = 604800) or (Y = 604800/30) or 20160

When you the math backward starting with a step of 30 and the default
line: AVERAGE  0.5 144   720, you come up with 36 days of 72-minute
averages.

Thanks Tobi for taking a look at it. Keep up the good work.

/Ryan