[smokeping-users] Problem with LDAP probe

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 15 15:42:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 08:14:53PM +0200, Sipponen, Sami wrote:

> perl -w -E 'use Net::LDAP::Constant q/LDAP_SYNC_INFO/; say LDAP_SYNC_INFO'
>
> I got answer:
>
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.4203.1.9.1.4

That would indicate that Net::LDAP isn't totally broken.

> Sorry about my N00Bness, but I don't know a good way to check
> my libnet-ldap-perl version... However I did "apt-get install
> libnet-ldap-perl" and got answer "libnet-ldap-perl is already the newest
> version.", I also did "apt-cache show libnet-ldap-perl" and it says
> "Version: 1:0.39-1".

'dpkg -s libnet-ldap-perl' is the command to check what you have installed.

Are you aware that Debian Squeeze is not a released version?
5.0 (Lenny) was released in February. 'Squeeze' is the current testing version.

> What comes to checking about multiple installations of Net::LDAP
> I don't know how to do that, any hints? I have installed my Debian
> box very carefully and it should only have the packages I need. I have
> pretty good documentation of commands how I have done that. Only other
> LDAP thingy which comes to my mind is PHP5-LDAP which is installed.

That's probably not the problem then.

Googling shows one other report of this issue:

 http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.ldap/2009/02/msg3071.html

which is on FreeBSD, Perl 5.8.9, Net::LDAP 0.39.

Assuming you've restarted smokeping after upgrading libnet-ldap-perl,
I'm pretty short on further ideas. Sorry. Maybe downgrading to
libnet-ldap-perl 1:0.36-1 from Lenny would help.

--
Niko Tyni