[smokeping-users] Clear smokeping data

Jonte Regnéll jonte+smokeping at yojimbo.org
Wed Feb 4 06:14:19 CET 2009

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on getting my smokeping installation working perfectly, so far
> so good, thanks to this mailing list.
>
> Because I'm still configuring things, I end up restarting smokeping alot,
> leaving gapsin my graphs.
>
> Is there a way to clear all of the data and start from scratch?  I see
> some
> .png files in my rdd folder, but I don't want to delete them incase I make
> mess of things...
>
> How do I reset the graph data?

Hi Guy,

1) No, you should have no .png images in /var/lib/smokeping/rrd. You
probably want to check when they where created as graphs are generated
when you request to view them and if they are not resent just delete them.
(unless you specified your datadir and imgcache to share the same folder,
but I'll assume that your using the RPM config tweaked to fit your site)

2) We (or at least I don't) worry to much about gaps, as any data is
better then no data. The short and sweet solution is just delete the
relevant rrd file.  The long solution is read up on how to do it via
rrdtool
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/ but that's a different mailinglist.
Your two top graphs will clear up if you just leave things for 30 hours so
I would say it's not worth the hassle. YMMV.

Regards,
  Jonte.