[smokeping-users] SmokeTrace setup

Guy Lajeunesse glajeunesse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:38:10 CET 2009

Hi, it's me again...

I notice that on the Smokeping website, there's a demo.  And in that demo,
there are asterix's * that you can click on to get traceroutes to the
servers.

I'm reading up on how to do it, but I have one question:  the instructions
keep referring to $web and copying files to your smokeping web directory(NOT
the cgi-bin directory)

Umm... how do I find my smokeping web directory?  What/where is it?

I think I can figure out the rest, I just don't know where to copy the files
they ask me to copy.

Also... I don't know if I can ask this here - if not, I'll try to figure it
out myself...  I want to password protect my smokeping page, I was reading
up on some basic security (which is all I need) with .htaccess and .htpasswd
files.  Can I do this?  I tried a few, but I don't know if it will work.
Can I use .htaccess for a .cgi script?  If yes, what folder do I need to
place the .htaccess and .htpasswd files into?  I played around with it for a
while last night, but never got it working.  Not important, but if someone
knows, maybe they can help.

Thanks!

Guy :)