[smokeping-users] SmokeTrace setup

Jonte Regnéll jonte+smokeping at yojimbo.org
Thu Feb 5 01:52:47 CET 2009

Hi Guy,

> I notice that on the Smokeping website, there's a demo.  And in that demo,
> there are asterix's * that you can click on to get traceroutes to the
> servers.
>
> I'm reading up on how to do it, but I have one question:  the instructions
> keep referring to $web and copying files to your smokeping web
> directory(NOT
> the cgi-bin directory)

1) Go to your 'config' file and un-comment the first entry under Targets
called 'menuextra'
2) You probably need to "chmod 4755 /bin/traceroute" to get it to work
properly.
Please note that if your using mod_perl you will have an problem since mod
perl will try and run the Tr.js, I have not followed up on this yet.

> Also... I don't know if I can ask this here - if not, I'll try to figure
> it out myself...  I want to password protect my smokeping page, I was
> reading up on some basic security (which is all I need) with .htaccess
> and .htpasswd

You are correct these are more apache-101 questions covered in the FAQ
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#remote-auth-only

But I have also pointed you to the right place for more in depth
information recently with
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/access.html

The proper place to use is the conf.d/smokeping file.

Changing it to look like this.
<Directory "/usr/share/smokeping" >
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
  PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
  Options ExecCGI
  Order deny,allow
  Deny from all
  Allow from <your IP and/or your domainname.tla goes here>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthUserFile /etc/smokeping/htpasswd.users
  AuthName "Smokeping Authorized personal"
  require valid-user
</Directory>

And remember create/add yourself to this file. (and yes only use the -c
for the first user to create the file, if you do it again you erase the
file)

First run
"htpasswd -c /etc/smokeping/htpasswd.users guy"

there after
"htpasswd /etc/smokeping/htpasswd.users guy2"

Regards,
  Jonte.