[smokeping-users] Configuration reload/restart issues in Debian/Ubuntu

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 08:58:24 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Mike Adolphs wrote:

> ... Debian/Ubuntu ... keep the configuration in a distributed way,

That's how smokeping does it now.

> When reloading/restarting the daemon after changing the configuration,
> e.g. adding hosts at /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets, changes aren't
> noticed by the daemon.

That's quite normal for many systems of this nature.  It could waste a
lot of processing time to check for changes in a complex configuration
every, er, well, how often would you like it to check?

> It only works if you've touched /etc/smokeping/config before
> reloading/restarting the smokeping daemon.

Not so.  Are you using speedycgi or some other persistent Perl thingy?

> I took a look at the init-script in /etc/init.d, but didn't find any
> relevant parts that could cause such a behaviour.

The scripts in there are about what happens when you boot the system
and change runlevels etc.  There's no need to do that just because you
make a small change in a configuration for some small part of what the
system supports.  You can however use those scripts to stop and start
parts of the system if you wish.

--

73,
Ged.