[smokeping-users] Configuration reload/restart issues in Debian/Ubuntu

Mike Adolphs matejunkie.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:51:13 CET 2009

G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Mike Adolphs wrote:
>
>> ... Debian/Ubuntu ... keep the configuration in a distributed way,
>
> That's how smokeping does it now.
>
>> When reloading/restarting the daemon after changing the configuration,
>> e.g. adding hosts at /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets, changes aren't
>> noticed by the daemon.
>
> That's quite normal for many systems of this nature.  It could waste a
> lot of processing time to check for changes in a complex configuration
> every, er, well, how often would you like it to check?

Until now I thought that the daemon only parses the configuration after
sending a SIGHUB to it. Didn't know that it's possible to alter the
configuration during runtime.

>> It only works if you've touched /etc/smokeping/config before
>> reloading/restarting the smokeping daemon.
>
> Not so.  Are you using speedycgi or some other persistent Perl thingy?

Exactly, /usr/bin/speedy has been used instead of /usr/bin/perl in
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi. After changing speedy to perl it works
fine now without persistence.

>> I took a look at the init-script in /etc/init.d, but didn't find any
>> relevant parts that could cause such a behaviour.
>
> The scripts in there are about what happens when you boot the system
> and change runlevels etc.  There's no need to do that just because you
> make a small change in a configuration for some small part of what the
> system supports.  You can however use those scripts to stop and start
> parts of the system if you wish.

Well, I was used to reload or restart daemons after changing parts of a
configuration, e.g. apache, nagios, bind9, postfix, etc.
I thought, smokeping would do it the same way, but I was obviously wrong.

Thanks so far!

Regards,

--
- Mike Adolphs -