[smokeping-users] Configuration reload/restart issues in Debian/Ubuntu

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 10:45:09 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Mike Adolphs wrote:

> G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > Are you using speedycgi or some other persistent Perl thingy?
>
> Exactly, /usr/bin/speedy has been used instead of /usr/bin/perl in
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi. After changing speedy to perl it works
> fine now without persistence.

I'd have thought it's better to continue using speedycgi and kick
speedycgi when you change the config.  That way you won't cause so
many discontinuities in the data.  After all, that's just the sort
of thing you'll be looking for and you don't want them to be hidden
amongst the things you caused yourself.

> Well, I was used to reload or restart daemons after changing parts of a
> configuration, e.g. apache, nagios, bind9, postfix, etc.

Much better to send a SIGUSR1 to Apache, so it acts gracefully:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/stopping.html

I don't use nagios, so I can't tell you much about it, but apparently
it has the 'reload' command, or you can send it SIGHUP:

http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03384.html

I'm a Sendmail fan, but they tell me Postfix has the 'reload' command:

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Yes, BIND is a little different.  It has 'rndc' which can take the
'reload' option:

http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.ch03.html

But I'm straying way OT now.

--