[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.com
Wed Jun 10 17:31:47 CEST 2009

Hello Smokeping Users,

I am having some difficulty daemonizing the slave servers for Smokeping.  I created the secrets.conf file and the secret answer file on each of the slaves, but when I daemonize them, I get an HTTP 500 error (at least I believe it's HTTP error.  I didn't see it appear in the apache logs):

LAXVPN ATTEMPTING TO DAEMONIZE:
[root at laxvpn001 ~]# /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping --master-url=http://server02.domain.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi --shared-secret=/opt/smokeping/secret.txt --cache-dir=/var/tmp/
WARNING Master said 500 Can't connect to server02.domain.net:80 (connect: timeout)
ERROR: we did not get config form the master. Maybe we are not configured as a slave for any of the targets on the master ?

One thing I should point out.  The slaves were former slaves of "derelict" copy of smokeping that we no longer use.  That is why I called it "server02.domain.net."  We no longer use "server01.domain.net."  Here is my config file of the current master Smokeping:

CONFIG FILE:

*** Probes ***

+ FPing

binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping

++ FPing_default

++ FPing_I

offset = 0%

++ FPing_II

offset = 10%

++ FPing_III

offset = 20%

++ FPing_IV

offset = 30%

*** Slaves ***

#secrets=/home/oetiker/checkouts/smokeping/trunk/software/etc/smokeping_secrets.dist
#+boomer
#display_name=boomer
#color=0000ff

secrets=/opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf