[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.com
Wed Jun 10 18:38:13 CEST 2009

> I am having some difficulty daemonizing the slave servers for Smokeping.  I created the secrets.conf file and the secret answer file on each of > the slaves, but when I daemonize them, I get an HTTP 500 error (at least I believe it's HTTP error.  I didn't see it appear in the apache logs):

I fixed part of this problem.  The original problem was an error in routing.  BUT, I'm now seeing a new error:

.::---::.
SLAVE SERVER:
[root at laxvpn001 ~]# /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping --master-url=http://dalnag02.broadvox.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi --shared-secret=/opt/smokeping/secret.txt --cache-dir=/var/tmp/
WARNING: Opening secrets file /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf: Permission denied

ERROR: we did not get config form the master. Maybe we are not configured as a slave for any of the targets on the master ?
'::---::'

When I try to give "read" permissions to the secrets file to group and everyone, I get an error when I try to daemonize the master server.

.::---::.
MASTER SERVER:
[root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 700 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
[root at dalimnag02 ~]# /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -restart
Note: logging to syslog as local0/info.
Daemonizing /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping ...

[root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 722 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
[root at dalimnag02 ~]# /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -restart
ERROR: /opt/smokeping/etc/config, line 137: File '/opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf' is world-readable or writable, refusing it

[root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 711 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
[root at dalimnag02 ~]# /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -restart
Note: logging to syslog as local0/info.
Daemonizing /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping ...
[root at dalimnag02 ~]
'::---::'

CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and should be destroyed and/or returned if you are not the intended and proper recipient.