[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 18:50:07 CEST 2009

Hi there,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Eric Chatham wrote:

> [root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 700 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
> [root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 722 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
> [root at dalimnag02 ~]# chmod 711 /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf

You're going to need to do some reading about filesystem things.  You
gave the file various nonsensical permissions.  That last one for
example was owner read, write and execute, group and world execute
only (not read, not write).  You would normally use something like 640
(to put it another way, owner read+write, group read only, world none).
A configuration file almost never needs any execute permissions.

I'd probably make the file owned by the same user that's running the
daemon which needs to read the file, and make the permissions 600
(rw,none,none).

http://www.zzee.com/solutions/linux-permissions.shtml

--

73,