[smokeping-users] Master/Slave configuration trouble

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 20:34:55 CEST 2009

Hi Eric,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Eric Chatham wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:50, Ged wrote,
>
> > I'd probably make the file owned by the same user that's running the
> > daemon which needs to read the file, and make the permissions 600
> > (rw,none,none).
>
> Hi Ged.  Would this work?
>
> # chmod og=r /opt/smokeping/etc/secrets.conf
>
> Would this allow the file to be read publically?

Answer to first question: Probably not.
Answer to second question: Yes.  Hence the answer to the first question,
because the daemon doesn't like a world readable secrets file.  There are
good reasons for that.

If you use '=' like that, the chmod command will take you at your word
and make the permissions equal to 'read' for just 'other' and 'group'.
And it will take away any permissions the file's owner might have had.

I think you meant 'chmod ug=r' to give read-only permission for the
user who is the owner and any user who is in the file's group.

--

73,
Ged.