[smokeping-users] Question about upgrading from 2.2.7 to 2.4.2

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 17:06:01 CEST 2009

Hello again Eric,

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Eric Chatham wrote:

> was wondering what would be the most effective way to get 2.2.7
> upgraded to 2.4.2.

Rather than upgrade in one fell swoop, I'd suggest that you just grab
the Smokeping tarball and extract it into a directory somewhere in a
user's home directory on the slave machines.  Then You can run the
slave daemons direct from there.  This is what I do on my slaves at
the moment.

Here's my startup script, it's in my home directories on the slave
machines but you can put it almost anywhere of course - just don't
let people read the shared secret files:)

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

/home/ged/src/net/smokeping/bin/smokeping \
 --master-url=http://boss.local.jubileegroup.co.uk/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi \
 --cache-dir=/home/ged/smokeping/ \
 --shared-secret=/home/ged/smokeping/smokeping_id
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

This script is called in the rc.local boot script like this:

su -c '/home/ged/start_smokeping.sh' ged

> would I need to upgrade RRD Tool and the other development libraries?

I don't think so, the slaves don't actually write RRD files themselves
but you might find changes to some of the ping tools (like fping) could
cause odd behaviour, as the command line syntax has sometimes changed.

--

73,
Ged.