[smokeping-users] Default ping hosts

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu May 28 18:14:05 CEST 2009

Hi there,

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Paul Bourke wrote:

> I was wondering, on a default install of smokeping (ubuntu 8.10), what
> host/hosts does it ping by default to measure RTT?

I can't speak for Ubuntu, but as Debian is likely to be fairly similar
I'd say the answer is probably 'a bunch of non-existent ones'.

I can't see that there would be any sense in putting a real 'default
host' in the config, since the odds are that it would be completely
irrelevant to the majority of users.  Furthermore with a popular
distribution you'd probably wind up DOSing the hapless default host
when thousands of people fire up a network application without reading
the documentation.  Or even the config. :)

If you look in the configuration on the machine, it should tell you
what you need to know.  Alternatively, if this is just a hypothetical
question, you could contact the maintainer responsible for Smokeping
on Ubuntu and ask, or download the package file and look in there.

Many distributions will offer any given package, and they do all kinds
of strange things with it (patch it, change the default locations of
nearly everything, setuid, run it in a sandbox...).  It's unreasonable
to expect the people who create the packages to keep abreast of all
the strange things that distribution packagers do with them.

--

73,
Ged.