[smokeping-users] Default ping hosts

Paul Bourke pauldbourke at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:32:46 CEST 2009

Hmm ok I think the penny may have dropped on this one :)

What I think SmokePing does by default is just ping the local webserver it
is running on and plots it's stats.  That would also explain the extremely
small range of my graphs (microseconds instead of milliseconds).

So, SmokePing is really only usefull if you have a host that:

1. Let's you ping them.
2. Doesn't mind you pinging them.

A little inconvenient, as one of my hopes for SmokePing was that I could see
the latency of my network before gaming on Xbox Live.  Though somehow I
don't think they would agree with me pinging their server's every .3 of a
second..  Same goes for Skype..

Anyone use it for either of the above services?