[smokeping-users] Curl probe question

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 12:07:18 CET 2009

Hi there,

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Deny IP Any Any wrote:

> first-time smokeping user here, running Smokeping 2.3.6-1 and
> curl 7.18.2-1ubuntu4.4 from Ubuntu.

You might want to consider a more recent version, there have been
improvements since 2.3.x, although that might mean doing more work.
You might be able to get the latest Smokeping from the 'unstable'
repository, or whatever the Ubuntu equivalent of that is.  But if the
version you have does whatever else you want, that's fine.

> I have smokeping working fine for ICMP and DNS checks, and am trying
> to get some HTTP checks to work as well. I have a Curl probe
> configured, and it seems to be working, except when the
> web-site-to-be-monitored is down; the graph shows empty during that
> time, and there is no "loss" shown on the graph

That's how it normally works.  You can specify a different alert if
you like, there are things like the 'unknown' match that I haven't
used which might help you.

If you just want to be alerted when a host is down, then it wouldn't
be hard to write a script which does that, without all the overhead
and extra potential points of failure brought to you by Smokeping.
I'd think about three lines should do it.

--

73,
Ged.