[smokeping-users] Slave gaps in all charts during outage

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 01:29:01 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Josh Luthman
<josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
> To rule out DNS - are the boxes using a DNS cache server on themselves or
> using a secondary server?  What's the TTL on those A/CNAME records and how
> long was your outage?

All the boxes use a caching DNS server - the TTL on the host that went
down that the affected slaves were monitoring was 5 minutes - it was
down for close to 3 hours.

I've since changed my config to use IP addresses for the host config,
but it'd be nice to not have to and for the slaves to cache the last
lookup in case there is a DNS failure...

-Dave