[smokeping-users] Slave gaps in all charts during outage

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Fri Sep 18 01:36:16 CEST 2009

Well if communication between the two servers was just fine on layer 3 but
it couldn't resolve, layer 7, your problem there was that the slave didn't
know what IP the master was.

You could up the TTL to 4 hours and it could have worked in that last
scenario, or 8 hours, etc.

For DNS on something like this I suggest you keep a long record, we'll say a
week.  If you know you're going to change it, change the TTL for half an
hour or a full hour a week in advance of the change.  Then change it to the
new IP and put the TTL back to a week.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

"When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
improbable, must be the truth."
--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle