[smokeping-users] Slave gaps in all charts during outage

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 01:38:43 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Josh Luthman
<josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
> Well if communication between the two servers was just fine on layer 3 but
> it couldn't resolve, layer 7, your problem there was that the slave didn't
> know what IP the master was.
>
> You could up the TTL to 4 hours and it could have worked in that last
> scenario, or 8 hours, etc.
>
> For DNS on something like this I suggest you keep a long record, we'll say a
> week.  If you know you're going to change it, change the TTL for half an
> hour or a full hour a week in advance of the change.  Then change it to the
> new IP and put the TTL back to a week.

Yes, that's all fine - but the DNS issue with one of the hosts the
slave was monitoring prevented it from monitoring ALL hosts it was
supposed to be monitoring...  So if DNS for one host stops working for
whatever reason, that shouldn't keep it from monitoring other hosts.

-Dave