[smokeping-users] fping and tos

Dez dez at otenet.gr
Fri Aug 27 16:50:53 CEST 2010

Hello Tobi,

On 08/27/2010 02:27 PM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Dez,
>
> Yesterday Dez wrote:
>

>> On 07/13/2010 06:52 PM, Pete Hoffswell wrote:
>>
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>> I have installed the updated fping called fping-2.4b2_to4-ipv6  and
>>> upgraded my FPing.pm from svn, but I still get an error message when
>>> attempting to modify my configuration to use the fping tos =
>>> directive.
>>>
>>> fping -O works.
>>> path looks good for fping in config
>>>
>>> ERROR: /usr/local/smokeping/etc/config, line 194: unknown variable 'tos'
>>>
>>> Has anyone been successful in getting fping probe with tos to work?
>>>

>> Are you sure that the version of FPing.pm you're using supports the "-O"
>> option of FPing?
>>
>> In any case, I too think that the -O option would be a  very helpful
>> addition to the FPing probe (using CiscoRTT stuff can be quite problematic)
>>
> look at
>
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/pub/trunk/smokeping-svn-snap.tar.gz
>
> you can pull it from there ....

that's great, thanks!
For our production systems, I had already patched FPing.pm but since
"tos" was a probe-specific variable, I basically created many FPing
probes like:

+FPing
binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping
blazemode = true
pings = 10

++FPingNorm

++ FPingGold
tos = 0x30

++ FPingSilver
tos = 0x60

Is there no way to make "tos" a target-specific variable? (although, I
guess you'd lose in parallelization and speed)

Cheers,
dez