[smokeping-users] Forcing SNMP over TCP vs. UDP

Schaibley Dean SchaibleyDean at JohnDeere.com
Tue Feb 2 19:51:38 CET 2010

Peter,

Thanks for the quick response.  We can see a successful SNMP via UDP from Smokeping to the router's Loopback.  However, all of our configs are done to use the Interface IP and that is what is sending TCP to this 1 specific router.  All other routers successfully go with UDP.

Here is an example of our config:

*** General ***

owner    = Network Management Services
contact  = SmokepingAdministrator at company.com<mailto:SmokepingAdministrator at company.com>
mailhost = mail.host.com
sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail
imgcache = /usr/local/smokeping/cache
imgurl   = cache
datadir  = /opt/ens/smoke/data
piddir  = /opt/ens/smoke/var
cgiurl   = http://host.name.com/smokeping.cgi
smokemail = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/smokemail
tmail = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/tmail
# specify this to get syslog logging
syslogfacility = local0
# each probe is now run in its own process
# disable this to revert to the old behaviour
# concurrentprobes = no

*** Alerts ***
to = administrator at company.com<mailto:administrator at company.com>
from = smokealert at company.com<mailto:smokealert at company.com>

+someloss
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = >0%,*12*,>0%,*12*,>0%
comment = loss 3 times  in a row

*** Database ***

step     = 300
pings    = 20

# consfn mrhb steps total

AVERAGE  0.5   1  1008
AVERAGE  0.5  12  4320
    MIN  0.5  12  4320
    MAX  0.5  12  4320
AVERAGE  0.5 144   720
    MAX  0.5 144   720

 *** Presentation ***

template = /usr/local/smokeping/htdocs/basepage.html

+ charts

menu = Charts
title = The most interesting destinations

++ stddev
sorter = StdDev(entries=>4)
title = Top Standard Deviation
menu = Std Deviation
format = Stdandard Deviation %f

++ max
sorter = Max(entries=>5)
title = Top Max Roundtrip Time
menu = by Max
format = Max Roundtrip Time %f seconds

++ loss
sorter = Loss(entries=>5)
title = Top Packet Loss
menu = Loss
format = Packets Lost %f

++ median
sorter = Median(entries=>5)
title = Top Median Roundtrip Time
menu = by Median
format = Median RTT %f seconds

+ overview

width = 600
height = 50
range = 10h

+ detail

width = 600
height = 200
unison_tolerance = 2

"Last 3 Hours"    3h
"Last 30 Hours"   30h
"Last 10 Days"    10d
"Last 30 Days"    30d
"Last 400 Days"   400d

*** Probes ***

+CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP

forks = 32
offset = 50%
step = 300
timeout = 15

# The following variables can be overridden in each target section
ioshost = CommunityString at HomeRouter_FQDN<mailto:CommunityString at HomeRouter_FQDN> # mandatory
# iosint = 10.33.22.11
packetsize = 56
pings = 5
# tos = 160
# vrf = INTERNET

+ FPing

binary = /usr/local/fping/fping

*** Slaves ***
secrets=/usr/local/smokeping/etc/smokeping_secrets
+boomer
display_name=boomer
color=0000ff
+slave2
display_name=boomer
color=0000ff

*** Targets ***

probe = FPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to the SmokePing website for company name. \
         Here you will learn all about the latency of our network.

+ VPN
menu = VPN Links #
title = VPN Links #

++ WINNAME
menu = WINNAME HomeSite to RemoteSite#
title = WINNAME HomeRouter to RemoteRouter #
probe = CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP #
host = RemoteInterfaceIP # RemoteRouter
ioshost = CommunityString at HomeRouter_FQDN<mailto:CommunityString at HomeRouter_FQDN> # mandatory
iosint = HomeInterfaceIP # HomeRouter Tunnel1

Dean Schaibley