[smokeping-users] Submillisecond RTT measurement accuracy

Russell Dwarshuis rjd at merit.edu
Mon Jan 18 17:04:58 CET 2010

For long-term reports I wrote a program using RRDs::fetch on the .rrd
files created by smokeping that analyzes all the pings in one shot.

Make sure your .rrd is sized correctly.  The stock row size will not
hold a month of 5 minute samples with step=1.  I set mine to:

# 110 days of all samples
AVERAGE  0.5   1  31680
# 400 days of every-2-hours consolidated data
AVERAGE  0.5  24  4800
    MIN  0.5  24  4800
    MAX  0.5  24  4800

You'll have to remove all your .rrd files if you decide to resize or
find a utility to convert them.

You'll also have to think of how to exclude data during maintenance
windows.  That will probably be a bigger challenge.

-Russell Dwarshuis