[smokeping-users] Question about alert email lists

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Thu Jul 22 17:17:04 CEST 2010

Using SmokePing 2.4.2 on Solaris 8.

Within my Solaris servers /etc/mail/aliases file, I have mailing lists set up in the conventional way, such as:

cns_design: Al_sorrell at troweprice.com,Joe_User at troweprice.com<mailto:Al_sorrell at troweprice.com,Joe_User at troweprice.com>,etc.

If I try to just use "cns_design" on the Alerts->To= line, I get an error saying that I must have an email address.
If I use it on an "alertee" line, and I have at least one "normal" email address, the config doesn't gripe, but others on the list don't get the notification, e.g.:

alertee = Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com,cns_design<mailto:Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com,cns_design>

Is this a non-feature or is there some other way to get this to work - the goal, of course, being to centralize the distribution lists in one place.

Thanks,
Al

Almon (Al) Sorrell
Corporate Network Services | Network Engineering Consultant
T. Rowe Price
4515 Painters Mill Road, TE9008
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Phone: 410-345-3042 (508-3042)  Fax:410-345-3135
Email: Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com

T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice.  Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein.  Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.