[smokeping-users] startloss,bigloss,endloss

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Thu Mar 25 18:03:18 CET 2010

Yeah, your pattern isn't written properly for edgetrigger use.

The thing to understand here is that the values you provide in your
pattern are the number of previous samples to look at in the history.
The last pattern argument you list is the 'current' sample, then as you
move backwards in the list, Smokeping examines more and more historical
data.   There's no additional logic here -- you're simply matching
current data against a pattern, and seeing if it matches or not.

So what your pattern is saying here is "This alert is TRUE when you see
exactly 3 samples with 0% packet loss followed by exactly 4 samples with
more than 50% packet loss".  Note that it's NOT "4 or more samples with
 >50% packet loss".     If the alert triggers at some point, but the
host continues to be down (i.e. >50% loss), you will be matching the
data "100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%" against the rule -- but since
the first 3 samples are NOT 0% loss, you no longer match the pattern,
and the alert un-triggers itself!

The proper way to write edgetriggers is simply ">50%,>50%,>50%,>50%".
Because edgetriggers only send you an email when the event happens, then
again when it stops happening, there is no need to check for 0% packet
loss at the beginning of the pattern.  Checking for 0% loss at the
beginning of patterns is useful when you're NOT using edgetrigger --
otherwise you'll get an alert for every sample!

- Peter