[smokeping-users] graphing traceroutes possible?

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Tue Mar 30 16:12:13 CEST 2010

You can use Xymon to get a ping email alert.  At this time it's simply
up or down.  Future plans are for so much loss or high values.  No
function for traceroutes that I am aware.

On 3/30/10, Russell Dwarshuis <rjd at merit.edu> wrote:
> And of course smokeping can be configured to run a script when a loss
> trigger is tripped.  For awhile I had a little script run traceroute
> and email the results to me when loss was seen on a particular host.
>
> It's not exactly what Joshua was looking for but it's another
> less-resource intensive possibility.
>

>                                            -Russell Dwarshuis
>
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
>> Hi Joshua,
>>
>> curently smokeping has no functionality for running background
>> traceroutes and recording of that information ...
>>
>> but if you have a budget, I'll be glad to make you an offer for
>> developing such a feature.
>>
>> If you program yourself I'll be glad todo some chaperoning ...
>>
>> cheers
>> tobi
>>

>> Today Joshua Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone, i recently stumbled upon smokeping looking for an
>>> alternative to pingplotter pro which i currently use. I purchased
>>> pingplotter so i would be able to keep detailed logs of mtr-like
>>> traceroutes
>>> to and from all of my remote servers to help identify any network issues
>>> and
>>> so that i have some ammunition when dealing with the colo's about
>>> possible
>>> problems. While pingplotter accomplishes this, it is extremely resource
>>> hungry both on the host machine (windows only, that alone is huge
>>> drawback)
>>> and on any remote linux machine as it relies on a perl script to call
>>> traceroute, which somehow uses an incredible amount of resources when
>>> querying many hosts at once. Long story short after configuring smokeping
>>> and digging everywhere i'm unable to tell if smokeping offers this same
>>> functionality? An help would be greatly appreciated and i apologise for
>>> the
>>> back story.
>>>

>> --
>> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
>> http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to
continue that counts.”
--- Winston Churchill