[smokeping-users] best test to use?

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 13:12:34 CET 2010

Hi there,

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:

> The disconnects occur mainly in the late afternoon and evening London time
> (GMT+0) and it makes the application virtually unusable. Magically at 23:00
> every night the disconnects stop and I am able to work normally.

Then I'm tempted to suggest that BT is throttling your connection.
Try downloading something with a BitTorrent client and monitor the
transfer rates when your application is working properly and when it
is giving trouble.  Even on a BT business connection when I'm using
torrents to grab things like Linux distros I see a factor of at least
ten change in transfer rates overnight.

Can you change to port numbers used by the application?  If not, it
might be worth investigating VPNs.

--

73,
Ged.