[smokeping-users] best test to use?

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Mon Nov 8 13:55:07 CET 2010

G.W. Haywood on 08/11/10 12:12, wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> The disconnects occur mainly in the late afternoon and evening London time
>> (GMT+0) and it makes the application virtually unusable. Magically at 23:00
>> every night the disconnects stop and I am able to work normally.
>
> Then I'm tempted to suggest that BT is throttling your connection.
> Try downloading something with a BitTorrent client and monitor the
> transfer rates when your application is working properly and when it
> is giving trouble.  Even on a BT business connection when I'm using
> torrents to grab things like Linux distros I see a factor of at least
> ten change in transfer rates overnight.
 >
> Can you change to port numbers used by the application?  If not, it
> might be worth investigating VPNs.

Let me get this straight. If BT is throttling my connection, that means that
they are just randomly but consistently dropping packets instead of letting them
through?

I assume that normal operation of ICMP would mean that I don't notice this,
except when ICMP is impaired, this will lead to issues like I'm seeing with the
online broker app?

I'm quite ready to believe that BT are doing that, although I haven't noticed
any difference in speed test results. Then again I have heard that BT's
throttling recognises the speed test sites and doesn't throttle that traffic.

Can I set up probes in smokeping to monitor this?

Thanks
Adam