[smokeping-users] RRDs::update ERROR filling this newbie's logs...

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Thu Nov 18 11:36:28 CET 2010

Re!

ged at jubileegroup.co.uk (G.W. Haywood) wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Elmar K. Bins wrote:
>
> > illegal attempt to update using time 1290043178
> >             when last update time is 1290071168 (minimum one second step)
>
> 1290043178 - 1290071168 = ?

> > Where should I be looking?
>
> At your clocks.  You're attempting to update a file with a data point
> which, as far as the file is concerned, is almost 8 hours in the past.

Ok, now I understand the error message fully. Thanks for the quick response.

This is a virtual server, so I have no control over the hardware clock, the
server is forced to run on PST, that is obviously what the hosting guys set
the hardware clock to, so I configured the correct timezone to align the
server with reality. Of course, the clock is running forward, it does not
jump, and it does certainly not go back in time.

My feeling here is that the data point is using UTC, but is being compared
to the local time (meaning PST here).

Is there a way around that? Should that be considered a bug?

Elmar.

--

"Machen Sie sich erst einmal unbeliebt. Dann werden Sie auch ernstgenommen."
							     (Konrad Adenauer)