[smokeping-users] RRDs::update ERROR filling this newbie's logs...

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:51:00 CET 2010

Hi there,

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> This is a virtual server ...

Time often seems to be a problem on virtual servers. :(

> ... I configured the correct timezone to align the server with
> reality. Of course, the clock is running forward, it does not jump,
> and it does certainly not go back in time.

Well not often, anyway. :)

> My feeling here is that the data point is using UTC, but is being compared
> to the local time (meaning PST here).
>
> Is there a way around that? Should that be considered a bug?

The RRD files store time as seconds since the 'epoch'.  They have no
knowledge of timezones.  Somehow you're attempting to update a file or
files with a data point or points which are older than the youngest in
the existing file(s).  That's never going to work with RRD.

This isn't a bug in RRD, it's a fault in the way it's being used.

Did you change the timezone after creating the RRD files and starting
to use them?  That might not be the best way of approaching it. :)

--

73,
Ged.