[smokeping-users] RRDs::update ERROR filling this newbie's logs...

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Fri Nov 19 10:08:52 CET 2010

Re again GW,

ged at jubileegroup.co.uk (G.W. Haywood) wrote:

> Time often seems to be a problem on virtual servers. :(

Yup. Why can't they just set their hardware to UTC and leave :(

> > My feeling here is that the data point is using UTC, but is being compared
> > to the local time (meaning PST here).
> >
> > Is there a way around that? Should that be considered a bug?
>
> The RRD files store time as seconds since the 'epoch'.  They have no
> knowledge of timezones.  Somehow you're attempting to update a file or
> files with a data point or points which are older than the youngest in
> the existing file(s).  That's never going to work with RRD.

Ah - *now* I get it. It's not the *last* data point it complains about,
it is *any* dp in the file that might be off.

> Did you change the timezone after creating the RRD files and starting
> to use them?

Spot on. ;)

> That might not be the best way of approaching it. :)

I guess so. Timezone business always confuses me.

Thanks for your help in keeping my logfiles green; I'll go and drop all
the rrd files now, so this can start again clean...

Yours,
	Elmi.

--

"Machen Sie sich erst einmal unbeliebt. Dann werden Sie auch ernstgenommen."
							     (Konrad Adenauer)