[smokeping-users] smokeping config file

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sun Oct 17 21:54:57 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 08:32:10PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Adam Hardy wrote:
> > G.W. Haywood on 16/10/10 18:19, wrote:

> > > Forget the Debian version.  Install from source.

> > Is your advice from experience or from knowledge that the Debian
> > package is not well maintained or some such info?
>
> My advice is from personal experience.  About two and a half years ago,
> in my first tests of Smokeping, I gave up trying to get Debian version
> to work and installed from source without problems.  Admittedly I had
> some special requirements because of the complexities of my networks.
> This was Debian 'Etch', I haven't tried the version of Smokeping which
> is packaged with 'Lenny' although that's what I'm using now on all my
> Debian machines.

Leaving the general Debian bashing aside, I've done quite a bit of work
with the Debian smokeping packages and I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

If somebody feels they could and wanted to do a better job, Debian is a
volunteer organisation. I'd love to see a new maintainer for the package
as my own interests have shifted elsewhere. The package has been up for
adoption since February, see http://bugs.debian.org/568742

In the meantime I'm still taking care of any critical issues.
Niko Tyni   ntyni at debian.org