[smokeping-users] plotting a continuous ping

Chris Picton chris at ecntelecoms.com
Wed Oct 20 11:05:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 13:53 +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Chris Picton wrote:
>
> > ... the smokeping probes run a command at each interval, whereas I
> > would like to send data into smokeping from an external script at each
> > interval.
>
> You can tell the FPing probe to send more than one ping per interval:
>
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/FPing.en.html
>
> Isn't that what you want?  If you try to sidestep Smokeping's control
> of the probes you'll run into all kinds of issues, for example setting
> up the RRD files to contain the right data.

I was hoping to get results which were indicative of the entire length
of the rrd interval, to avoid missing short periods of network problems.

I could set the number of fping attemps to be a few less than my rrd
step length to try simulate this, but there may be corner cases where
the probe takes too long, and thus runs over my interval.

What I have done in the meantime is modify fping slightly to respond to
a SIGUSR1.  On receipt of this, it prints out current stats.  I will try
make a smokeping probe to use this, and will see how it fares.

Chris