[smokeping-users] plotting a continuous ping

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 14:53:49 CEST 2010

Hi there,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Chris Picton wrote:

> ... the smokeping probes run a command at each interval, whereas I
> would like to send data into smokeping from an external script at each
> interval.

You can tell the FPing probe to send more than one ping per interval:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/FPing.en.html

Isn't that what you want?  If you try to sidestep Smokeping's control
of the probes you'll run into all kinds of issues, for example setting
up the RRD files to contain the right data.

You can use the 'rrdtool graph' command to plot your own data easily
enough, I do that for CPU temperatures and the like, but you won't get
other Smokeping features.  I don't know how important they are to you.

--

73,
Ged.