[smokeping-users] confusing average packet loss

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:38:46 CET 2011

You can accomplish this by changing the xff value of the RRD files so that a higher percentage of samples must be 'known' in order for data to be consolidated.  This is the second value in the lines defining the RRA records in the "*** Database ***" configuration section (for example, "AVERAGE  0.5   1   1008" has an xff of 0.5, meaning that you need to know 50% of the values in order to consolidate to a known value).

See the Smokeping (or better yet, rrdtool) docs for a full explanation of the math involved.   You'll have to figure out what xff value best suits your particular setup, however.

- Peter