[smokeping-users] the furture of smokeping

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Jul 25 17:37:54 CEST 2011

There has been now new release of smokeping for some time. There
are a bunch of updates in trunk but no proper release. The reason
for this is that I have been planning to replace the smoketrace
add-on with remocular (www.remocular.org) and just never got round to it ...

in the mean time, I spent quite some time writing extopus, a
generic web frontend to monitoring systems ... (www.extopus.org)
I like extopus and its potentials a lot, and have therefore come up
with the following plan for smokepings future:

1) release trunk minus smoketrace as a regular release

2) rewrite smokeping to work with the extopus frontend.

The first step will take care of getting long standing bugfixes out
into the open

The second step will lift Smokeping up to a new level of
interactivity and integration. Extopus is a fully interactive ajax
web application. It has the potential of integrating data from
several monitoring systems in a common frontend.

There is no sponsorship for the smokeping rewrite project as of yet, I
will work on it as time permits. If you are in a position to
provide funding, please be in touch!

stay tuned!