[smokeping-users] Smokeping 2.6.5 $VERSION="" in ./lib/Smokeping.pm

richard k richardkfk at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:44:00 CET 2011

Dear Dir,

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on my HP Pro 2.2Ghz Dual Core Notebook.

Initially, I use the Synaptic Package Manager to install the Smokeping ver2.3.5 (bundled by Ubuntu11.10) , but it has problems to use the
Alerts type =matcher.

So I un-install the Smokeping 2.3.5 and download the latest version 2.6.5 from your website :

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/pub/smokeping-2.6.5.tar.gz

I follow the installation procedures

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_install.en.html

a. unzip the gz file onto the following dir
 /home/ricky/Downloads/smokeping-2.6.5.tar.gz
b. Unpack the tar archive and run the included configure script:
./configure --prefix=/opt/smokeping
c. then use the sudo command to make install files
sudo make install
d. follow the configuration procedures to
Installing the webinterface .  ( I use Synaptic Manager to install the Apache2 web server before)
c. the installation is successfully .

All the corresponding files and directory will be installed under
/opt/smokeping/bin
/opt/smokeping/etc
/opt/smokeping/etc
/opt/smokeping/htdocs
/opt/smokeping/lib
/opt/smokeping/share

I have to change the following dir to be -rwxrwxrwx-  by every one , otherwise the apache2 web cgi will have error saying that "unable to write some files /opt/smokeping/cache/.., permission denied"
/opt/smokeping/cache
/opt/smokeping/data
/opt/smokeping/image
/opt/smokeping/var

I can put my hosts (which are  monitored for RTT) onto the /opt/smokeping/etc/config file and then
run the smokeing
eg.
sudo /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -debug-daemon
successfully.

However, the web page http://localhost/cgi-bin/smokeping/smokeping.fcgi
does not show the <VERSION> of the smokeping.

I execute the command line < sudo /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -version>
the output is nothing.

I check the file
/opt/smokeping/lib/Smokeping.pm, the $VERSION is equal to "" as shown below:

$VERSION = ""

then I add < 2.6.5>  onto this variable as :
$VERSION = "2.6.5"

and
execute the command line < sudo /opt/smokeping/bin/smokeping -version> again,
the output will give me <2.6.5>.

Is there something wrong with my smokeping2.6.5 installation that cause the $VERSION="" inside the
/opt/smokeping/lib/Smokeping.pm module ?

thanks for your advice !

-ricky