[smokeping-users] Patterns

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Sep 5 21:32:15 CEST 2011

I'm looking for a pattern that will alert me quickly of any problems.
Say, <50% packet loss.

I'm more used to Mon's alert system where you can limit the number of
alerts you get - and EdgeTrigger can help - but I'm worried that I'll
miss the first one.

I'd like to get, say 5 alerts, and then no more.

So, anyone have any suggestions?

---
I've tried to create some patterns that would produce an alert every
five minutes [My step time, at least right now, is 60 seconds - which
is probably crazy - but I don't have a lot of hosts and I'm working to
nail down a problem and five minutes seems too large.]

Something that would
1) let me know within five minutes
2) of a loss of 50%+ twice in 10 minutes
3) Would not repeat the alert more than once every 5 minutes.
4) But would let me know at least three times fairly quickly
initially. [Say, every minute, or three.]

I just can't wrap my head around the patterns well enough to build
something like that - if it's even possible.

Any suggestions?

TIA
-Greg
--
Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
503.251.0452 x82 Voice | 503.251.0452 Fax
mailto:gregs at sloop.net