[smokeping-users] Smokeping alarming and pattern

Nicolas KARP liste at karp.fr
Mon Aug 6 17:08:56 CEST 2012

Hi Guys,

I configured some months ago my alarm patterns and my own script which is
working fine.

I just wanted to know if the following example is the normal behaviour :

+packetloss_warning
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = <100%,<100%,>20%,>20%
comment = packetloss_warning (>20% for 10 minutes)
priority=30

+packetloss_critical
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = <100%,<100%,>60%,>60%
comment = packetloss_critical (>60% for 10 minutes)
priority=20

+packetloss_ok
type = loss
# in percent
pattern = >20%,>20%,==0%,==0%,==0%
comment = No packet Loss : OK
priority=10

And I don't understand why an alarm occured when this pattern happens :

packetloss_warning : i'm ok with that
    LOSS=loss: 5%, 0%, 0%, 65%, 60%
    RTT=rtt: 20ms, 20ms, 20ms, 20ms, 20ms

packetloss_critical is triggered : why ?
    LOSS=loss: 65%, 60%, 85%, 75%, 0%
    RTT=rtt: 20ms, 20ms, 20ms, 20ms, 11ms

packetloss_ok is triggered : i'm ok with that
    LOSS=loss: 85%, 75%, 0%, 0%, 0%
    RTT=rtt: 20ms, 20ms, 11ms, 3ms, 3ms

packetloss_ok is triggered : why ?
    LOSS=loss: 75%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%