[smokeping-users] Storing high time resolution results over longer periods

Luigi Corsello lcorsello at ripe.net
Wed Dec 5 08:40:17 CET 2012

Chris,

Bad news, but thanks for the excellent explanation.

My memory is limited so I went for two+two months and switched to
FastCGI to cope with the huge memory footprint of the plain smokeping.cgi

AVERAGE  0.5   1   87600
AVERAGE  0.5   5   87600

So leaving a notice for whoever wishes to set a lower polling interval
in their smokeping setup, to my experience at least:
- in etc/config: change the step value
- in /etc/config: adapt the rrd parameters according to your needs*
- stop smokeping
- clear or move the RRDs under smokeping/data (yes, your old graphs are
gone!)
- start smokeping

*a basic rule to keep the same resolution you were previously seeing
could be:
multiply all "total" values for your increase factor, for example
passing from 5 to 1 minutes polling intervals, multiply the totals by 5.

L.C.