[smokeping-users] Help to increase Polling time in Smokeping

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Sun Jul 15 21:07:48 CEST 2012

Hi Pijush;

The polling time is controlled by the "step" setting in the "***
Database ***" section of the configuration file.  However, it is
important to note that any change to this setting means that you will
have to either delete all of your existing RRD files (and lose all the
history), or convert the existing data to the new step value (a fairly
tedious process).

There are, however, other possible solutions, depending on your
available system & network resources and monitoring requirements:

- Reduce the value of the "pings" variable to ping each host fewer times
during each polling session.   Note that changing this option also
requires regeneration of your RRD files.

- Enable the "concurrentprobes" option and define multiple instances of
your probe, and then select groups of hosts to use each probe. With the
concurrentprobes option enabled, each group will be polled as a separate
process and function independently.   Make sure you have enough disk I/O
and network capacity to support this before running it in production!
Examples of how to set this up can be found as Example 3 in the
smokeping_examples page
(http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_examples.en.html).

- Pete