[smokeping-users] 500 Error on Master crashes Slaves?

Darren Murphy darren at victoriajd.com
Tue Jul 17 12:56:08 CEST 2012

On 17 July 2012 18:22, Jason Yates <Jason.Yates at betfair.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to stop the slaves from killing smokeping on the first 500
> error? Or have it automatically restart? I’d prefer not to have to go around
> and restart the slave processes each time a config error is made.

A couple of suggestions:

1. To minimise the chances of config errors, automate the generation
of your config file. This is probably only worth doing if you are
monitoring lots of hosts, and have frequent changes. The approach I
took was to have a base template that defines all the global options,
and then store all the individual host data in a database. A simple
perl script (iinvoked via crond) checks the database for changes, and
if any are detected a new master config is generated and smokeping
gets a restart.

2. To keep your slaves running, have a look at monit
(http://mmonit.com/monit/) - very easy to install and configure, and
does the job nicely.

hope this helps,
Darren