[smokeping-users] Tuning Smokeping display for many device

Artiflo artiflo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:35:34 CEST 2012

Hello,

My config :
I use smokeping 2.6.8 on 1 host with fping (ICMP) overs ~500 WAN devices
(ADSL/SDSL) and in 2 months probably 2000 devices.
I have a script for creating Multiple Probe, that create a new Probe every
50 device (Today I have 10 Probes).
I use Perl FCGI.
I am quite satisfied with how polling is done.

But the display is really slow. Every time I click on a graph or menu I
have to wait  ~3 seconds.

What I can confirm using the time command.
# time /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping_cgi
/usr/local/smokeping/etc/config
real    0m2.654s
user    0m2.507s
sys     0m0.108s

This a part of my config file :

+ FPing

binary = /usr/sbin/fping
packetsize = 32
timeout = 2
++ FPing1
++ FPing2
++ FPing3

How can I improve my smokeping setup to accelerate the display ?

PS : I note that :
When I do an "strace" /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping_cgi , I note many
things, plus an "open" on ALL rrd files ???
Why do an open on all rrd files with this script ?

# strace /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping_cgi
/usr/local/smokeping/etc/config
open("/usr/local/smokeping/xx/xx/devicexxx.rrd", O_RDONLY) = 4
close(4)