[smokeping-users] how to enforce username/password logons to access smokeping

Dan O'Neill dano at northpb.com
Wed Mar 21 19:29:12 CET 2012

The /etc/passwd file is not the same format as an authentication file
for Apache. Here is the Apache Basic Auth tutorial

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/htaccess.html

Change your .htaccess file to have something like this:

AuthUserFile /usr/share/smokeping.passwords

Then use the 'htpasswd' command to create the file

/usr/bin/htpasswd -c /usr/share/smokeping.passwords murray

But do read the above tutorial. If that isn't enough, google 'apache
basic auth' and you'll find additional guidance.

Best,

dano